Thursday, January 2, 2014

A vase out of paper

WEEK10-DAY 4



1.Soundtrack of the day:

I picked Nino Rotta 15 minutes of music

2.Places to go:


A marble world

The transportation of marble


3. People to discover:

Paolo Ulian  site

A  link  about Paolo's work

4. Question of the day:



5. Inspiration

David Hockney - “you can’t 
teach the poetry, but you can teach the craft”

Vase and flowers - D. Hockney

“Craft” is an activity that involves making 
something in a skillful way. By using our hands!

“Life Support” by Oscar Medley-Whitfield: “The stem vase life support machine was created in a sporadic 24 hour challenge. It is designed to provide the best possible conditions for keeping a cut flower alive longer.”

Vases and earthquakes - a video

Properties of paper

6. 
Homework - Today, you will have create one vase with card (thin cardboard) or paper. Cut, paste, staple, glue, do whatever you need to render your paper material concave! You will turn a flat two-dimensional material into something concave. Something that can “hold” three-dimensional things. Not easy.


I learned to do this when I was a child. I use this whenever I need a glass to drink and I don't have one. All we need is a square of paper. If the sheet of paper is too thin I use two sheets. To make a glass you don't need to fold the bottom. The water inside will unfold it. As an evolution of the cup I decided to make it a bit bigger than I usually do. I used thin cardboard. And invented a bottom for it so it can stand on a surface. This was the result. It gets more stable once filled with stuff! I had big ideas of trying stuff for this homework as I love paper... but no free time at all and terrible weather to glue paper together, so...

No comments: