Sunday, September 7, 2014

Here I go again

I enrolled in a new MOOC. It's from edX  -

EdX is a non-profit created by founding partners Harvard and MIT whose mission is to bring the best of higher education to students of all ages anywhere in the world, wherever there is Internet access. 


It has nothing to do with design or art. In fact I am surprised with my enrollement decision. I am not sure what to expect from a MOOC called The Sciense of Happiness. I hardly think about happiness. Do you?!! So one thing I know I'll achieve for sure if I take the course seriously - I'll think about happiness. I'll force myself to escape routine to think about something new! Well, that's slightly exciting, don't you agree? 

This text excerpt is from the course description:

“The Science of Happiness” is the first MOOC to teach the ground-breaking science of positive psychology, which explores the roots of a happy and meaningful life. Students will engage with some of the most provocative and practical lessons from this science, discovering how to apply key insights from cutting-edge research to their own lives."


And some more words from the teachers:

"Happiness is inextricably linked to having strong social connections and contributing to something bigger than yourself—the greater good. Students will learn about the cross-disciplinary research supporting this view, spanning the fields of psychology, neuroscience, evolutionary biology, and beyond.

It will offer students real-life techniques for nurturing their own happiness. Research suggests that up to 40 percent of happiness depends on our habits and day-to-day activities. So each week, students will learn a new research-tested “happiness practice”—and the course will help them track their progress along the way."


I guess that everyone wants to be happy. I think I'm doing a good job about it already considering that if I could I would like to change my life almost 100%. The thing is... I can't. So I try to make the best of what I have and forget about what I can't have. If I am living a life I don't like and still hardly feeling unhappy I don't know how will I improve my level of happiness further! But I enjoy a good challenge and I am always eager to learn. Plus there's always the backdoor exit - you can leave a MOOC and no one will care because no one even knows you're there. Except yourself. Not my style either. I don't like to give up on projects I start. Anyway it's pretty amazing that there are more than 70.000 persons enrolled. Yeah, I know numbers of Design 101 were very impressive also. But from my objective point of view Design 101 was more appealing than this one. Yet I enrolled in this one, didn't I? For me it's kind of exotic. I don't have any kind of expectations on what I'll achieve in this MOOC. I will take one week at a time. Not sure if I will document it as I did with Design 101 either...but I'll have to take some notes down so I guess this blog will do.

The first course material will go live next Tuesday at 9:00 am (UTC). It will be time to check the the first week's videos and other content. More material will arrive every Tuesday for the subsequent three weeks, each week covering a different theme. During the week of October 7, there will be a break and a midterm exam. Then new material again every Tuesday for four more weeks. The last week's content, and the final exam, will be posted on November 4. Then I'll have two weeks to catch up and complete the final by November 18.

Week 1: Introduction to the Science of Happiness
Will be available starting on September 9 

Week 2: Happiness & Human Connection
Will be available starting on September 16 

Week 3: Kindness & Compassion
Will be available starting on September 23 

Week 4: Cooperation & Forgiveness
Will be available starting on September 30 

Week 5: Midterm Exam (and time to catch up on course material)
Will be available starting on October 7. Must be completed by November 18. 

Week 6: Mindfulness, Attention, and Focus
Will be available starting on October 14 

Week 7: Mental Habits of Happiness: Self-Compassion, Flow, and Optimism
Will be available starting on October 21 

Week 8: Gratitude
Will be available starting on October 28 

Week 9: Finding Your Happiness Fit and the New Frontiers
Will be available starting on November 4 

Final Exam
Will be available starting on November 4. Must be completed by November 18.







No comments: