Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Science of happiness has started!

What am I looking for in "The Science of Happiness" MOOC?

I am not sure. But the staff says it may help

- to gain insights into my emotional makeup,
- to identify skills to help me thrive at home or at work, 
- to connect with a global community of students,
- to simply learn about cutting-edge research from psychology and neuroscience, 
- to...

Meet our instrutctors! They look friendly enough!

"I'd like to add that I don't consider myself the world's happiest person.
Emiliana Simon-Thomas, the science director at the Greater Good Science Center. "Like Em, happiness was really hard won for me.", says Dacher Keltner, Professor of Psychology at UC Berkeley.

A Emotion check-in is a course exercize that we'll be asked to take several times. I just did the first one!

I just realized that the course will last for 10 weeks, with new material released almost every Tuesday except for the midterm week and the final week of the course...Now I am starting to feel like the character above!

I am listening to Dacher's on a video about the content and structure of "The Science of Happiness." And, guess what, some of the conceptual background of the course is indeed interesting, more interesting than I thought when I enrolled...but it's 10 weeks long! As the staff were telepathic or something when I moved to the next video I got this warning: "We estimate that each week should take you roughly two to three hours to complete; however, Week 1 should take slightly more than that because it contains introductory information about the course and must establish the conceptual foundation for the rest of the course."

It's good to have a look in the map. They say 100.000 people enrolled!


It's me!

No comments: